Starting on Jan. 19, the UFC is set to hold 20 events over the span of six months. The Sunday Morning Rumor Mill and our bodies are ready for the UFC flooding the zone.
What ESPN wants, ESPN gets. It already feels like how the UFC dealt with Fox Sports will be the same way its relationship with ESPN will go. The UFC giving up even an ounce of power makes 2019 a very interesting year in our great sport.
As always these are rumors that have been talked about behind closed doors between MMA higher ups, so take them as MMA rumors.
Happy New Year and drink a brunch time mimosa with your Sunday Morning Rumor Mill.
- Rumor is internal projections for UFC 232 show the pay per view exceed expectations. If the pay-per-view buys hold up, UFC 232 will be one of the promotion’s most successful of 2018.
- UFC 232’s box office success may cause a increase Jon Jones schedule in 2019. With an Anthony Smith in March, the UFC would like Bones to fight at least three times over the next 12 months.
- Over in WWE it looks like Brock Lesnar is working on a title match versus Seth Rollins at WrestleMania 35. No word if a Lesnar Universal title match would serve as the main event of WWE’s biggest show.
- Huge if true but looks more likely that Rouna Rousey will be part of the main event of WrestleMania 35. This would be the first time a women’s match will headline a WrestleMania.
- The UFC may be working on a Stephen Thompson vs. Anthony Pettis fight at welterweight. Pettis moving up in weight would serve as the main event of a future Fight Night.
If you have heard of any interesting Sunday Morning Rumor Mill MMA rumors that you would like to add, feel free to post them in the comments section below, on our Facebook page, tweet us or mail them to us in an unmarked envelope. Just remember they are rumors and not confirmed as fact, so please take them as such.