Jon Jones update, Francis vs. Stipe and more in the post-UFC 218 Sunday Morning Rumor Mill
UFC 218 you have the hearts of the Sunday Morning Rumor Mill . A month after UFC 217, UFC 218 stood in the pocket and did not back down an inch versus pay-per-view expectations. You have our hearts and (he) respect UFC 218.
Was the last the week of November/the first week of December quiet by MMA standards? Yes and no. If you consider the biggest the star in the sport getting in bar fights, Japan making the freakiest of freak show fights and viral self defense videos spitting in the face of martial arts, normal than the past seven days were kind of chill.
As always these are rumors that have been talked about behind closed doors between MMA higher ups, so take them as MMA rumors.
You gotta lose your mind in Detroit Fight City AKA UFC 218, so drink, smoke or meditate your way back to your baseline before you breath in the post-UFC 218 edition of the Sunday Morning Rumor Mill.
- The rumblings are getting louder but word is Team Jon Jones is quietly confident he will be back in the UFC sooner than you think. As strange as it seems, Bones Jones and his team are now thinking he could be headlining a major UFC PPV by the second half of 2018. Wow.
- After UFC 218, don’t be surprised if Jose Aldo’s next fight is at 155 pounds. In search of money fights and the (very, very) slim hope of a Conor McGregor rematch, expect the UFC and Aldo to agree his future home is 155 pounds moving forward.
- All signs point to Rose Namajunas’ first title defense coming versus former champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk. The title would headline a pay-per-view in the second quarter of 2018 for the UFC.
- Huge if true but looks like Francis Ngannou has upper cutted his way to being Stipe Miocic’s next heavyweight opponent. The original plan was to have Miocic defend his belt versus Cain Velasquez at UFC 220, but expect the former champ to take a backseat as Ngannou gets his crack at the belt; pending Miocic getting a pay bump before the fight.
- Rumors are UFC officials are unhappy that news of their TV deal with Fox Sports and subsequent negotiations went awry leaked out. Rumor is the UFC is still all-in getting the best deal possible no matter which network it is with.
If you have heard of any interesting Sunday Morning Rumor Mill MMA rumors that you would like to add, feel free to post them in the comments section below, on our Facebook page, tweet us or mail them to us in an unmarked envelope. Just remember they are rumors and not confirmed as fact, so please take them as such.