This past week the UFC went through it’s biggest behind the scenes overhaul in the past ten years. Ever since Zuffa sold the UFC to the WME-IMG ownership group in July, the entire Las Vegas office has been on high alert. After a lot of whispers and folks brushing up their resume, the week of October 19th 2016 may be remembered as the time The UFC changed forever.
As always these our rumors that have been talked about behind closed doors between MMA higher ups, so take them as rumors.
No matter who runs or works for the UFC, MMA rumors will always be there to blow your mind. Ponder the meaning of your own LinkedIn profile today because this is your Sunday Morning Rumor Mill.
- GSP’s phone most likely has already blown up since his free agency announcement on the MMA Hour. The Canadian has already spoke with the KSW owner and rumor is Scott Coker and others have or will follow. However, expect the next opponent for GSP to be the UFC in court. As the promotion is loading up for potential long legal battle with the former UFC champ.
- The tension between Jose Aldo and the UFC can still be cut with a knife. Despite a meeting in Las Vegas that went per sources “just okay”, rumor is both sides are still not close to a resolution. Signs are saying that if Aldo doesn’t return to MMA, he and his team are already looking to go back into the world competitive of Jiu-Jitsu
- With new ownership firmly in place, the UFC will look to cut back the number events it holds in 2017. This is part of an overall move by WME-IMG to cut costs across the board. With Zuffa originally looking to hold up to 45 shows next year, new ownership could drop that number to the low 30s instead.
- Rumors are going around that morral in Las Vegas is at an all-time low. This week new UFC ownership cleaned house with many longtime Zuffa employees being let go. Sources says more behind the scenes UFC employees are still on high alert and you can also expect a massive fighter roster cut to happen in the coming weeks
- Rest in Peace to The Ultimate Fighter. As part of the new UFC ownership group looking for new revenue streams, TUF may finally get the boot off of TV and it would be replaced by another weekly UFC show on Fox Sports 1. Think some of the original programming floated out on Fight Pass over the past few months but converted to a FS1 series
- Sit down if you heard this one before. A conspiracy theory wrapped in rumor has been talked about for weeks in MMA circles about WME-IMG ownership crashing, burning and fumbling their UFC takeover. After the UFC price sinks s group of new buyers, possibly including the Fertittas bros, would buy back the promo on the cheap
If you have heard of any interesting rumors that you would like to add, feel free to post them in the comments section below, on our Facebook page, tweet us or mail them to us in an unmarked envelope. Just remember they are rumors and not confirmed as fact, so please take them as such.