Happy New Year’s Eve, Happy Sunday Morning Rumor Mill. For those who watched UFC 219 and Rizin’s Grand Prix finals back to back, we salute and respect you.
The contrast between a big UFC pay-per-view and year end Rizin show is stark but also what makes MMA great. On at least one Saturday in MMA 2017 there was something for everyone. Like what you like and love the MMA you love. It’s in our DNA and shit.
As always these are rumors that have been talked about behind closed doors between MMA higher ups, so take them as MMA rumors.
You did it. You made it another year running the MMA hamster wheel. Pop open your favorite beverage, pat yourself on the back and enjoy your Sunday Morning Rumor Mill.
- Despite saying he plans on fighting one more time for Rizin, plans are on the table for Cro Cop to fight more in 2018 with a rumored participation in a TBD Grand Prix also now a real possibility.
- After the big win last night Cris Cyborg next fight is already in the works from the UFC. The opponent is rumored to be Megan Anderson, with injuries pending expect it to be booked soon; perhaps even the first quarter of 2018.
- Talks before and after his loss at UFC 219 point to the fact Carlos Condit is done with MMA. The comeback fight was always a test balloon from Condit to see where his skill set clocked in and where his passion was for the sport.
- Early rumors for WWE’s Royal Rumble have John Cena winning the men’s match while none other than Ronda Rousey is seriously being discussed to win the women’s version of the big match.
- The smokescreen is real. While everyone thought Floyd Mayweather would fight in the UFC, both sides are looking to partner under Zuffa Boxing. If Zuffa boxing makes a big push in 2018, Mayweather Promotions may be working hand-in-hand with them. MP provides credibility and fighters while ZB brings a potential TV deal and the UFC’s infrastructure to the table.
If you have heard of any interesting Sunday Morning Rumor Mill MMA rumors that you would like to add, feel free to post them in the comments section below, on our Facebook page, tweet us or mail them to us in an unmarked envelope. Just remember they are rumors and not confirmed as fact, so please take them as such.