There’s not a lot of material manifesting in this week’s rumor mill. I can directly attribute that on a relatively dull month of MMA. Look at me, scapegoating July for this week’s lack of rumors. It’s cool though, we’re in August which means that we’re all in for an influx of D’arce choke fun. If MiddleEasy covered boxing, then we could literally write three pages of rumors in regards to last night’s Diaz vs. Marquez bout, but we’re not. Take note of the ‘MMA is everything’ tagline. Enjoy.
- There’s some stuff from Bjorn Rebney’s boxing promotion career that may come back and haunt him in ZUFFA’s recent legal stint against Bellator. You can read more about it here.
- Dana White personally had some beef against Ken Pavia and while ZUFFA’s lawsuit against Pavia and Bellator may not succeed, he will use this as a way to permanently ban Ken Pavia from the UFC and WEC.
- During the Strikeforce Los Angeles card, EA had a cocktail reception and I remember talking to Pat Tenore, the owner of RVCA, about the game. He was hanging out with Kron Gracie and Pat told him ‘Dude, you’re playing the game that you’re going to be in!’. So I think it’s safe to assume Kron Gracie will be in EA Sports MMA. Here’s a pic I took of Kron rocking the Xbox 360 as well as Pat Tenore showing something to an EA Developer.
- There may be a legal loophole that enables makers of MMA highlight films to use ZUFFA copyrighted footage without legal implications.
- Early audience estimates for The Expendables suggests that it may slightly top The A-Team in ticket sales. This is all Hollywood math so I wouldn’t necessarily believe it until we see opening weekend numbers.
- Dan Quinn has made Aaron Brink agree to ridiculous terms for their upcoming fight this month which include: No leg kicks, no takedowns when punches are being exchanged and a 15-second knock-down rule meaning if you get rocked and fall to the floor, the other opponent has to wait 15 seconds before starting any type of submission or ground and pound.
- Tito Ortiz will most likely get the loser of today’s Janitor vs. Bones bout at UFC Live 2. Yes, I realize that Tito has already signed the Hamill bout. This is rumored to go down after Matt Hamill, that’s if he gets passed Hamill.