Last night, the congenital amputee Nick Newell lost the chance to get the UFC contract when he suffered unanimous decision loss to Alex Munoz over three rounds in the headliner of Dana White’s Contender Series 14.
Alex Munoz takes all 3 rounds and adds an impressive win to his Résumé! pic.twitter.com/AiUXfUgbLH
— UFC FIGHT PASS (@UFCFightPass) July 25, 2018
Newell entered this fight with a professional record of a 14-1 and a sincere hunger to be part of the UFC roster. He left the Octagon on Tuesday disappointed, but undaunted.
“I just want to fight in the UFC, but nothing is given,” Newell said after his fight (via MMA Junkie). “All I asked for was a chance. I got my chance, and I didn’t make the most of it. I have it. I know I have it, and I’ve just got to show it. I’m better than what I showed, and I just have to work and get better and improve.”
Back in 2012, UFC president Dana White said he wouldn’t be signing Nick Newell saying it was too dangerous for a fighter with mission portion of his arm to compete at the highest level.
Newell retired back in 2015 but returned to action earlier this year aiming for one last chance at his UFC dream. A first-round submission win over Sonny Luque renewed calls for him to get a chance.
It is Newell’s first loss since he suffered a TKO loss to former WSOF champion and current UFC lightweight Justin Gaethje back in 2014.
Do you think Newell deserves one more chance or is he done for good?