Photogenic flyweight Tracy Cortez said that she was forced to withdraw from her bout at UFC Orlando.
Cortez successfully stepped on the scale and made weight for her previously scheduled meeting with Amanda Ribas at the Amway Center on Saturday night. Despite everything seemingly going well, the UFC announced shortly afterward that the bout between the two fan favorites was postponed citing medical issues on the side of Cortez.
Though the exact circumstances of the withdrawal still remain a mystery, Cortez took to Instagram in an attempt to clear the air and confirm that she was removed from the bout and did not willingly withdraw.
“First & foremost I want to thank every single one of you that sent me sweet, heartfelt messages,” Cortez wrote. “Honestly, means the world to me. It’s so easy to be negative & think the worst in a situation like mine this weekend & I’m just grateful to have fans that are so supporting! So, thank you!
“With that being said, I, myself did NOT pull out of my fight this past weekend. I was pulled by the (Florida) state commission & doctors. I did talk to my opponent & I wanna thank Amanda for being so understanding & respectful of the situation. I worked extremely hard for this fight & was in disbelief myself when (doctors) told me I wasn’t cleared. This is a private matter & will update you all when the time is right. I ask to (please) respect my privacy & to those who support, my day 1’s, know that I’ll be back.”
Despite not competing at the event, Tracy Cortez did still make an appearance, taking in the action with the woman she was supposed to share the Octagon with that night.
After losing her first professional mixed martial arts bout in 2017, Cortez has won 10 straight, including a 4-0 run inside the Octagon since debuting for the promotion in 2019. Her last appearance came in May where she bested Melissa Gratto via unanimous decision.
Amanda Ribas with Tracy Cortez. pic.twitter.com/MW5NDY1iHp
— MMA By Milikin (@mmabymilikin) December 4, 2022