Nate Diaz Claim He’s Fighting At UFC 230 Main Event For UFC’s New 165-Pound Title, Dana White Refute

Nate Diaz, Dustin Poirier Claim To Be Fighting For UFC’s Inaugural 165-Pound ‘Superfighter’ Title, Dana White Deny The Reports

There’s no ultimate proof the UFC is ready to pull the trigger on the idea of adding a new 165-pound weight class in their roster, but there has been a lot of talk about it amongst fighters. In the start of 2018, rumors of a new 165-pound belt started to come to limelight, when Conor McGregor was ready to take the fight with Frankie Edgar at UFC 222, but he wanted it to be for a title in a new 165-pound weight class.

It appears that UFC doesn’t need to look elsewhere to fill the upcoming UFC 230 pay-per-view main event. As on Tuesday both lightweight contenders Nate Diaz and Dustin Poirier took to social media and claimed to be fighting each other in the main event of UFC 230 for promotion’s inaugural 165-pound ‘super fighter’ title. The bout initially announced as co-main, but now both fighters believe it could be perfectly suitable for top billing.

I’m Happy to announce that I’m bringing a new weight devision to the Ufc
I’ll be fighting the main event November 3rd in nyc against Dustin Poirier for the first ever 165lb belt superfighter devision
I’m happy to be apart of history @ufc @danawhite

Its been a long journey but here we are. NYC 1st ever 165lb Title in the UFC! #THEREWILLBEBLOOD #THUGJITSU

UFC head honcho Dana White who was quick to deny the reports during a phone call with ESPN’s Brett Okamoto.

Just spoke to Dana White on the phone, he denied any plans of a 165-pound title fight at Madison Square Garden. Says he’s still working on a main event for UFC 230.

I reached Nate Diaz (@NateDiaz209) via text.

His only comment: “I’m fighting for that main event 165lb title.”

Poirier who had already been calling for main headliner bout at UFC 230 and Daiz is fully supporting that idea. Adding a 165-pound division to promotion mean filling the gap between lightweight and welterweight, for those who have weight cutting issues, which become a major issue in the sport of MMA.

UFC have some difficult time finding a suitable headliner for UFC 230 after much talk of Colby Covington versus Tyron Woodley isn’t headling anymore as ‘Chosen One’ needs surgery to his injured thumb. According to ESPN’s Ariel Helwani, UFC is exploring the idea of introducing the interim title fight for upcoming UFC 230 PPV main event slot even though White shot down the talk of a former champion Jon Jones return last week.

Several notable names supported the idea, like Rafael dos Anjos, Kevin Lee, Michael Chiesa, Diego Sanchez, and champion Tyron Woodley said they would love to be part of if the UFC were to add this new weight class.

UFC 230 PPV tickets are set to go on sale to the general public this Fri. (Sept. 28) at 10 a.m. ET despite no main event.

For more MMA News, Rumors and Updates follow the Red Monster on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram

Join our list

Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.

Thank you for subscribing.

Something went wrong.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here