Former Two-Division Champion Conor Mcgregor Says ‘He Just Became More Hungry To Come Back And Show Who The Real King Is’
In under one week, Conor Mcgregor will step inside the Octagon and challenge undefeated Khabib Nurmagomedov for the 155-pound title in the main headliner of UFC 229 on October 6. ‘Eagle’ and ‘Notorious’ have been going back and forth for years and have planted lots of seed ahead of their massive showdown.
On his time away from Octagon, Mcgregor was concentrating on building his business portfolio as well questions have arisen amongst fight fans that whether Irishman will continue his career in combat sports.
In a recent interview with MacLife, agitated Mcgregor discussed a variety of topics, one in which he was displeased with UFC how they stripped him of his titles.
UFc stripped Mcgregor off from his featherweight title weeks after he scores the lightweight title back in November of 2016. Then earlier this year in April, UFC stripped him of his 155-pound title after being away from Octagon for a long time. UFC has every right to move forward with the division, Mcgregor took that matter personally as winning those belts were meant everything to him. (Via MMAMania)
”I fell out of love with the game for a bit, went off on to my own thing,” McGregor said. “Had many things going on. Now I’m back. I’m hungry to compete. And we’re here right on the cusp of it. Making weight, handling the media obligations. And that’s it.”
”I spent my entire life’s work to win those two world titles,” he continued. “Those two UFC world titles. I set out a goal, I put everything, absolutely everything, sacrificed so much times, sacrificed so much to gain those world titles. And then as soon as I win the second world title, I wasn’t even offered a featherweight contest and the featherweight title was taken off of me and handed back to a man that I had a crazy history with.”
“I traveled the world with a two year build up. He ended up pulling out last minute. Blah blah blah blah blah, when I end the fight, I knock him out in in 13 seconds and then they give the belt back as soon as I walk out the Octagon in Madison Square Garden. And then like, what, about a month, a month or two, the lightweight belt is stripped from me also.”
”So these kind of things irritate me,” McGregor concluded. “Especially seeing what way it goes, who the belts are given to, who the people are that are challenging the belts. Who the person who has the belt is facing to get the belt. Many things irritate me in the game, and just watching it unfold, I just became more hungry to come back and show who the real king is.”
October 6th fight is perhaps the biggest challenge for Conor Mcgregor but it seems that doesn’t stop him from thinking about his future opponents.
”I’m already mapping out what’s next in my head,” he said. “I know Dustin and Nate is competing. I know the 170 pound belt has also just been defended and I know Tyron, the current welterweight champion, is itching for that one. Like they all fookin’ are. I know Georges is in there test cutting to 155. I know everyone’s around looking for it. So I’m here and I’m ready so let’s see what happens. I’ve got my eye on everyone.”
Mcgregor also said he’s willing to lock horns with co-main fighters like Anthony Pettis or Tony Ferguson, in case Khabib pulled out of the bout.
”When that fight got announced as co-main, I was like man, if Khabib bottles this fight – like he has bottled many fights before – if he bottles this one, I don’t think I give a f**k about,no disrespect to those other two, I don’t think I give a f**k about those other two,” McGregor said. “To step in … I think I would probably have just disappeared back into the shadows and got that man [Khabib] somewhere else outside of here.”
”But now that I’m here and I’m back and I’m close, I think if he didn’t show up, I think I would take a fight against either one of those.”
Do you think Mcgregor will pull a win at UFC 229? Will Khabib get through scale successfully? Share your thoughts below.