Rhys McKee is the new Cage Warriors Welterweight champion.
This past Saturday, Rhys McKee took on Justin Burlinson at the SSE Arena in Belfast, Northern Ireland. Their main event bout was scheduled for the vacant welterweight title at Cage Warriors 140. In an action-packed card filled with thrilling finishes, McKee would add one final knockout to the highlight reel.
Rhys McKee KOs Justin Burlinson at Cage Warriors 140
In the opening seconds of the third round of their contest, Burlinson would go for a spinning back elbow that would miss. McKee capitalized on the opportunity with a thunderous left that sent Burlinson crashing down on the mat against the cage.
You can watch the video of the brutal KO below.
What just happened!?!? Chaos in Belfast!
— UFC FIGHT PASS (@UFCFightPass) June 25, 2022
McKee’s brief stint in the UFC
The 26-year-old Brit competed for the UFC in two fights. His debut under the promotion came against Khamzat Chimaev, who would go on to knock him out in the first round and set a new record for the fastest turnaround in UFC history of 10 just days in July 2020.
McKee’s second opponent was Alex Morono. He would drop the fight by a unanimous decision in November 2020. Following the two unsuccessful efforts, he would return to Cage Warriors for a second run.
He dispatched Aleksi Mantykivi with a finish in the third round in his comeback fight. ‘Skeletor’ seems to have reversed his fortunes as his recent knockout of Burlinson now makes him the new welterweight champion of the promotion.
Cage Warriors 140 Results:
- Rhys McKee def. Justin Burlinson via knockout (punches) – Round 3, 0:20
- Caolan Loughran def. Festus Ahorlu via TKO (punches) – Round 2, 3:20
- James Sheehan def. Martin Causse via TKO (punches) – Round 2, 1:16
- Federico Pasquali vs. Harry Hardwick results in majority draw (28-28, 28-28, 28-29)
- Ryan Shelley def. Matthew Elliott via split decision (30-27, 28-29, 29-28)
- Michele Martignoni def. Scott Malone via unanimous decision (30-26, 30-27, 29-28)
- James Power def. Adam Shelley via TKO (punches) – Round 2, 4:23
- Michael Tchamou def. Glenn Irvine via knockout (punches) – Round 1, 0:30
- Adam Darby def. Dorian Cliucinicov via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 4:29