With the benefit of hindsight Georges St-Pierre is probably The GOAT. Not just the Canadian GOAT, but one of the best human cage fighters in the history of our sport.
In MMA it’s difficult not to over-hype or underrate a fighter, but for some reason GSP was both of those. St-Pierre’s at times risk averse style did not win him any fans. It felt like at times he was holding back from showing fans his greatness, all in the name of just getting another ‘W’.
Then you look at his career record and there really is no argument against 26-2 and wins over multiple future Hall of Famers. GSP’s career was one of the best ever and maybe we should have appreciated it more while it was all happening.
For now St-Pierre is retired once again. Maybe this time for good. If he came back in six months and won a new UFC title at 155, 165 or 170 pounds, would anyone be surprised?
The Canadian GOAT is that good and his career is that big of a mystery. With apologies to the UFC 158 conference call, beating up BJ Penn, and never fighting Anderson Silva, here are the top five GSP mini-moments in his UFC career.
5) Georges St-Pierre blows up future UFC lightweight champion Sean Shrek
4) GSP was just a match-up nightmare for anyone. Excellent wrestler and maybe even a better striker when it was all said and done.
3) The sweetest redemption for a young Georges.
2) Four year layoff and a new weight class? No problem.
1) The most personality GSP ever showed and he’d go on to destroy Matt Hughes twice more in the cage.
GSP? We are impressed by your performance.
Bonus: UFC’s top five St-Pierre fights.
Can you pick just one?!
— UFC (@ufc) February 21, 2019