The UFC 279 weigh-in results are in… and it’s a big drama show.
Saturday’s night headliner between Nate Diaz and Khamzat Chimaev is in jeopardy. There’d be no problems for Diaz, who made weight at the welterweight limit of 171lbs. However, the same can’t be said for ‘Borz’ unfortunately.
Chimaev would step onto on the scales at 178.5lbs, missing weight by 7.5lbs. Despite the very visible miss, Chimaev would smirk for his weigh-in photo.
MMA reporter Ariel Helwani later revealed that Chimaev has a health issue, that prevented him from making the contracted weight. Additionally, Chimaev jokingly pointed out his teammate Darren Till as the reason he missed weight.
As of right now, it’s unclear if the fight will go forward as scheduled and how much money Chimaev will lose as a penalty.
Li Jingliang and Tony Ferguson, the co-main attraction welterweights, both made weight successfully. It will be Ferguson’s first appearance as a welterweight since winning The Ultimate Fighter 13 in 2011.
Other fighters who failed to make weight were featherweight Hakeem Dawodu who weighed 149.5 pounds and heavyweight Chris Barnett who weighed 267.5 pounds. In joining Justin Tafa as the only UFC fighter ever to exceed the heavyweight limit, Barnett is the second.
Main Card (ESPN+ PPV, 10 p.m. ET)
- Khamzat Chimaev (178.5)* vs. Nate Diaz (171)
- Tony Ferguson (171) vs. Li Jingliang (170.5)
- Kevin Holland (179.5) vs. Daniel Rodriguez (179) – 180-pound catchweight
- Irene Aldana (137.5) vs. Macy Chiasson (139.5) – 140-pound catchweight
- Ion Cutelaba (205.5) vs. Johnny Walker (205)
Preliminary Card (ESPN+, 8 p.m. ET)
- Hakeem Dawodu (149.6)* vs. Julian Erosa (146)
- Jailton Almeida (216.5) vs. Anton Turkalj (214) – 220-pound catchweight
- Jamie Pickett (185.5) vs. Denis Tiuliulin (186)
- Chris Barnett (267.5)* vs. Jake Collier (265)
Early Preliminary Card (ESPN+, 6 p.m. ET)
- Norma Dumont (146) vs. Danyelle Wolf (146)
- Heili Alateng (135) vs. Chad Anheliger (135.5)
- Melissa Martinez (113.5) vs. Elise Reed (115.5)
- Yohan Lainesse (171) vs. Darian Weeks (170.5)
Check out the highlights below: