Skip to Content

Tyron Woodley Questions The Legitimacy Of Interim Belt, As He Is Returning In July

Tyron Woodley Questions The Legitimacy Of Interim Belt, As He Is Returning In July

Tyron Woodley scored the UFC welterweight title back in July 2016 via a first-round knockout win over Robbie Lawler. ‘The Chosen One’ defended that title three times between November 2016 and July 2017.

Woodley underwent shoulder surgery for the injury he picked up in his title bout with Demian Maia on July 29 last year and told the UFC that he would be fit to return to the Octagon in July.

Earlier this week, UFC announced the interim title bout between former UFC lightweight champion Rafael dos Anjos and Colby Covington and it is set to take place on the UFC 224 on May 12 at the Jeunesse Arena in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Woodley is confused on why an interim belt is on the line when he is returning to action this July.

Woodley was Speaking with MMA Tonight on SiriusXM Rush, where addressed the situation and said he doesn’t care if UFC creates the interim title as everyone knows who’s the real champ:(Quote Via MMAFighting)

“I’ve just got to focus on myself,” said Woodley. “We know what the interim title means. That’s the ‘boo boo belt,’ that’s not the real deal. I’m the undisputed welterweight champion of the world. I put the belt up three times. In 12 months, I fought four world title fights. Name me another fighter that’s done that. I can say whatever I want and I can solicit for fights that help my career and legacy but I’m the only one that’s really actually fought the number one contenders.

“I try not to get too bent out of shape because I know what the interim belt means. If someone wins it and fights for it and hoards it around and really walks around like it’s a real belt, I’m gonna make fun of you. I’m gonna roast your ass. So hopefully if they do that. The person better not try to stand next to me with that belt and think I’m gonna take it serious.”

Woodley said UFC should have waited for my return as I was planning on defending the belt against dos Anjos, but Dos went on to accept the fight with Covington. Woodley thinks Dos Anjos took a risky opportunity.

“They already got me to fight the winner, they don’t need that belt,” he said. “If I was dos Anjos, he’s taking a risk he doesn’t have to take. If he just wants to fight and stay active and keep going, that’s his prerogative but we’ve seen what happened to Frankie Edgar. Frankie Edgar had a clear shot at Max Holloway, he did the T-City [Ortega] thing, it didn’t work out quite right and now he got jumped.

“I told the UFC that I would be willing to fight him in July. They wanted me to fight him in June but June and having surgery on December 20th seemed fairly quick. It usually takes six to eight months to recover. I’m pushing it up four to six months to recover.”

Woodley, who is reportedly in news to lend training help to Floyd Mayweather Jr. for a UFC bout.

For more MMA News, Rumors and Updates follow the Red Monster on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram
BJ Penn is old y'all
Pic: BJ Penn offers to step in and save UFC 223, gets brutally shot down by his own fans
← Read Last Post
Out of nowhere Jon Jones appears to ether Tyson Griffin over the McGregor bus attack
Read Next Post →