Despite A Retirement Tito Ortiz Planning A Rematch With Former UFC Title Contender Chael Sonnen
Former UFC light heavyweight legend Tito Ortiz who came out of short retirement to got his much-desired win over longtime rival Chuck Liddell after knocking out “The Iceman” in the first round under Golden Boy MMA 1 last November.
Shortly after Liddell win, “The Huntington Beach Bad Boy” who was previously suffered two defeats by the hands of ‘The Iceman’ at UFC 47 and UFC 66 announced he’s once again retiring and would be interested trying his hand at fight promotion.
Then back in December Ortiz wrote on Twitter that he’s willing to unretire to kick Chael Sonnen’s ass. To remind you two years ago Tito Ortiz submitted ‘The American Gangster’ in the first round at Bellator 170; now he got an itch again to settle the affairs with Sonnen. (h/t MMAFighting)
“[Chael] started it,” Ortiz told TMZ Sports recently. “As Chuck started it. And Chuck only lasted what, four and a half minutes? He called me out man. I’m gonna stay in retirement. I’m still gonna stay retired, and I’m gonna smash Chael. I’m not gonna choke him, I’m not gonna submit him, I’m gonna smash him. I’ll put a show on for every one of the fans. That’s what I’m gonna do.”
Most recently the pair went back and forth on social media laying a groundwork for the rematch.
“Hey stupid [Tito Ortiz] straight up,” Sonnen wrote on Twitter. “Do you want to fight or not?”
Hey stupid, @titoortiz straight up. Do you want to fight or not?
— Chael Sonnen (@ChaelSonnen) January 7, 2019
“The Huntington Beach Bad Boy” didn’t waste time to respond:
“[Chael Sonnen] you said you would get back to me in 6 months and it’s only been 6 days since the new year,” Ortiz fired back. “Lol Looks like I’m going to stomp a bigger hole in your face. No submission this time. Smashing time! Let’s fight winner take all? You’re going down!”
Sonnen last fought in October at Bellator 208 where he has suffered a defeat by the hands of MMA legend Fedor Emelianenko in the second round of Bellator’s Heavyweight Grand Prix. At the moment he’s without a dancing partner, while Ortiz is coming off a massive win against Liddell ready to shut Sonnen up. Of course, if the fight comes to fruition, it’d be under the Bellator banner. But the question arises here is when and where it’ll happen? But Ortiz desires for this fight to take place at Madison Square Garden.
“This guy has a loud mouth,” Ortiz said. “I’m gonna shut him up. Like I say: I’m not gonna choke him, I’m not gonna submit him, I’m gonna pummel him for three rounds. And give the fans what they want to see, and that’s a great fight.”
“I don’t know [where],” said Ortiz. “I’ve never fought at Madison Square Garden, so possibly Madison Square Garden. That’ll be the first thing.
“I was the first UFC fighter – mixed martial artist – to ever fight in California. First one. First one to fight in Las Vegas. First one. First one to fight in Florida. First one. So, I’d like to just add to my repertoire of being able to go to Madison Square Garden and fight. Where the greatest have fought. People like Ali, people like Frazier, people like Foreman. Just to do something great for mixed martial arts, at the expense of Chael Sonnen.”
Ortiz 43, parted ways with UFC back in 2012 but went on to compete under the Bellator banner, where he won four of his five fights.
Who wants to see Ortiz vs Sonnen rematch down the road?
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.