I think MiddleEasy reader, Juice Lee, said it best in the comment section this week. When we used to run the Sunday Morning Rumor Mill on a weekly basis, you lunatics would republish every item on your message board or website of choice claiming we’re ‘reporting’ these items as fact. On the occasion that one of these items is false or slightly untrue, we would then get negative backlash from the MMA community. Mobs would come after us with pitchforks in hand, ready to torch our office down with handcrafted Molotov cocktails — and through all of this we would just stand there with a ‘WTF’ look on our face. That’s why we stopped doing the rumor mill. You guys can’t have anything nice. If Jesus Christ returned to Earth, MiddleEasy readers would ridicule him for wearing leather sandals in the year 2012 and kill him again.
Now, let’s try this again.
- Over the past few months you’ve undoubtedly heard of ‘The MMA Show Live,’ a UK expo that was slated to go down May 12-13 at Birmingham’s NEC Arena. Yesterday the entire expo (which literally had a ‘who’s who’ of MMA stars slated to attend including Ben Henderson, BJ Penn, Randy Couture…etc) was abruptly canceled. Now it appears that one of the two organizers of the show, Liam Fisher, has deleted his personal Twitter account along with The MMA Show Live’s Facebook page.
- Several fighters, MMA personalities, booth owners and fans now claim they are owed money by ‘The MMA Show Live.’ Some unruly fans posted Liam Fisher’s personal information on The MMA Show Live’s Facebook, which was the alleged reason behind the deletion of the event’s page.
- One production company that was hired to film the entire event for a major news network was promised a set of payments before the event occurred. The production company was told the organizers of the event had ‘cash flow’ problems which halted pre-production on the entire project. The production company still has not been paid.
- Now it appears the two organizers of The MMA Show Live, Liam Fisher and Paul Clifton are at odds with each other after Clifton accused Fisher of ‘F****** him over.’
- There has been unconfirmed reports of several fighters contacting their lawyers to seek damages for a breach of contract, including Tom ‘Kong’ Watson who labeled the organizers as ‘crooks’ on his Twitter page.
- As of this morning in the UK, TicketFactory, the official ticket partner of The MMA Show Live, did not know the show was canceled which means upon such short notice they will most likely not be offering refunds of tickets.
- The MMA Show Live has been postponed to October 2012, however some companies involved close to the event truly believe the 2012 Mayan Apocalypse will happen before The MMA Show Live.
- An official response to the abrupt cancellation was published on The MMA Show Live’s Facebook page, shortly before the entire page was deleted. You can read the entire statement here.
- According to MMA neo-reporter FrontRowBrian, Super Fight League is in talks with Genki Sudo to get the former fighter to return to MMA, which would make it his first fight since December 31st 2006.
- I mentioned this in an article yesterday, but a couple weeks ago I heard from a very close source that when Yushin Okami fought Anderson Silva at UFC 134, he received several death threats en route to Rio de Janeiro and within the fighter/media hotel.
- Eddie Alvarez is no longer considered a ‘Bellator fighter.’ It’s rumored that Lorenzo Fertitta and Eddie Alvarez discussed an inevitable signing to UFC which may close as soon as the end of this week. It’s also heavily rumor that a Eddie Alvarez vs. Anthony Pettis bout is being targeted for UFC 150.
- After UFC on FOX: Diaz vs. Miller, it’s been rumored Carlos Condit will defend his UFC welterweight interim belt against Johny Hendricks – giving Hendricks the ‘title fight’ that was talked about at the post-fight press conference.
- It appears Urijah Faber will get his wish and fight against Renan Barão. Now it’s rumored Faber is trying to push talks of the bout being for the interim belt.
- Apparently CagePotato is considering FrontRowBrian to fill Mike Russell’s former position and serve as editor of the website.
- This was rumored back in early 2010, but it appears that Lorenzo Fertitta flew out to Stary Oskol, Russia to broker a deal with Fedor while he was still under contract (or under ‘partnership’) with Strikeforce.
- About two weeks ago Sherdog Radio mentioned a story that was associated with Bjorn Rebney. Apparently the promoter called Sherdog and asked the show to remove it with the ultimatum they would lose credentials if they did not.
- ProElite stocks are no longer indexed by Yahoo! and several other financial sites as of about 16 days ago.
- It’s rumored the UFC had Frank Mir on tap long before it was announced that Alistair Overeem couldn’t participate in his title bout against Junior dos Santos.