Miesha Tate has made weight for her flyweight debut, and the only thing left for her to do is fight.
Tate is a flyweight
Early Friday morning, ‘Cupcake’ successfully weighed in at 125.8 pounds. After spending her entire career at bantamweight, Tate is officially a flyweight. Her opponent Lauren Murphy also successfully made weight at 125.2.
There is a lot on the line for Tate, as it is believed a win over Murphy will get the former champion a shot at the current flyweight queen, Valentina Shevchenko. The 35-year-old was pushed by the UFC matchmaker to move down to flyweight after bouncing the idea around in her head. She was also told a move to the 125-pound division would be the fastest way to a title shot.
All of that is great, but she first has to get through No. 3 ranked Murphy, who is looking to spoil Tate’s flyweight debut.
The pair of UFC veterans will open up the main card tomorrow at UFC Island.
The main event of UFC Long Island is also a go as the featherweights made weight. Brian Ortega used the full extra pound allowance, weighing in at 146, while Yair Rodriguez weighed 145.4.
Rest of the card
Thankfully, the entire card made weight. Here are the rest of the official results.
Main Card (ABC at 2 p.m. ET)
- Brian Ortega (146) vs. Yair Rodriguez (145.4)
- Michelle Waterson (115) vs. Amanda Lemos (116)
- Li Jingliang (170.6) vs. Muslim Salikhov (170.8)
- Matt Schnell (126) vs. Sumudaerji (125.8)
- Shane Burgos (145.8) vs. Charles Jourdain (145.6)
- Lauren Murphy (125.2) vs. Miesha Tate (125.8)
Preliminary Card (ESPN, ESPN+ at 11 a.m. ET)
- Punahele Soriano (185.6) vs. Dalcha Lungiambula (185.6)
- Ricky Simon (135.6) vs. Jack Shore (136)
- Bill Algeo (146) vs. Herbert Burns (145.4)
- Dustin Jacoby (205) vs. Da Un Jung (205.6)
- Dwight Grant (184.4) vs. Dustin Stoltzfus (185.6)
- Jessica Penne (115.8) vs. Emily Ducote (115.6)