Luke Rockhold Says The System “Failed” Cain Velasquez: “It Sucks. It’s Just Not Fair”

Luke Rockhold expressed his disappointment with the system's treatment of Cain Velasquez

Luke Rockhold, Cain Velasquez
Credit: MMA Fighting, Cain Velasquez

Luke Rockhold is not happy with how the system is treating Cain Velasquez.

The former UFC Middleweight champion is slated to return to action against Paulo Costa at UFC 278 in August. Rockhold has remained on the sidelines since his last outing against Jan Blachowicz in July 2019. He had been looking to return earlier this year but had to delay his comeback after Costa reportedly needed more time to make weight.

Luke Rockhold says the system “failed” Cain Velasquez

In a recent interview with Damon Martin for MMA Fighting, Rockhold talked about making his return to the octagon after a three-year hiatus. The 37-year-old California native is a former teammate of Cain Velasquez, having trained together at American Kickboxing Academy in San Jose.

Velasquez has been in jail since March and has had his bail denied twice in the timeframe. Rockhold expressed his disappointment with the system and went as far as to say that it “failed” Velasquez.

“It’s just hard to watch him grow and his family grow and you know, been through the years, the heartbreak and the amazing times we’ve had. To see his family not have him over a system that has failed us is not fair. It sucks. It’s just not fair.” (h/t LowKick MMA)

Rockhold joins the growing list of Velasquez supporters

Cain Velasquez has received major backing from UFC champions, fighters, and members of the community. The supporters of the #FreeCain movement have made their presence known at each court hearing. Coach Javier Mendez, as well as former two-division champion Daniel Cormier, were also at the courthouse to show their support.

Harry Goularte Jr, the accused molester in the case, pleaded not guilty to the charges. He was given bail a few days before the arrest of the former UFC heavyweight champion. His preliminary trial hearing is set for September 20 at the Santa Clara Hall of Justice in San Jose. He faces a charge carrying an eight-year sentence in prison and/or a $10,000 fine.

Velasquez is scheduled for a formal plea hearing on June 10. If found guilty, Velasquez could face life in prison.

For more MMA News, Rumors and Updates follow the Red Monster on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram

Related

Leave a Comment