Dana White On Georges St-Pierre Taking on Winner Of Khabib Vs. Conor- ‘Not Going To Happen’
Georges St-Pierre was the most dominant welterweight champ from 2007 until 2013 when he vacated the belt to turn away from the spotlight. He returned from four years of sabbatical at UFC 217 to win the 185-pound title after beating Michael Bisping. shortly after St-Pierre forfeit the belt once again this time citing health condition ulcerative colitis. Now he’s feeling better and is looking to take on the winner of Khabib vs. Conor if the UFC will let him.
GSP has mentioned on several occasions that he would like to go down at 155-pound to fight for a title, an intriguing bout which will add to his legacy. St-Pierre wants to become the first fighter in the history of UFC to win titles in three different weight classes.
Earlier this year White publicly stated he wanted St-Pierre and Diaz to clash at UFC 227; however, neither fighter was anywhere near accepting the showdown.
According to UFC president, Dana White is hesitant to have St-Pierre fight the winner of Kahbib vs. Conor. But given the fact that, GSP has a history of relinquishing both his 170 and 185 titles due to a different reason.
“Yeah, that’s probably not going to happen,” White told reporters after the final episode of this season’s Tuesday Night contender series ended (via MMAjunkie). “He gave up the 170-pound belt, he gave up the 185-pound belt. I mean it’s like – no. Pick a division.”
However, White is interested in Canadian to return to Octagon this year ideally when UFC returns to Toronto on December 8.
“We haven’t talked, but it sounds like we will,” the UFC President said. “Toronto makes sense. Toronto wouldn’t be bad.”
If UFC is not keen on the idea of having St-Pierre to face the winner of UFC 229’s main headliner, then who you think Canadian should meet upon his anticipated return to UFC Octagon?