In a perfect world, that would be the end of this article. However, in a perfect world we wouldn’t have to write about King Mo being cut from Strikeforce. If you think you’ve been burned this year, let’s do a brief recap of King Mo’s 2012.
- We learn that the heavily rumored King Mo vs. Rampage Jackson fight for UFC in Japan won’t happen due to King Mo’s Strikeforce contract.
- King Mo tests positive for a banned substance. He claims it was from a supplement and gives the canister to the Nevada State Athletic Commission.
- While he awaits his NSAC punishment, Mo succumbs to a life-threatening staph infection. In an interview after the ordeal, he accepted death as a possibility.
- NSAC commissioner Pat Lundvall asks if King Mo can ‘speak and read English’ despite King Mo being college educated.
- King Mo received a nine-month suspension, fined 30% of his $80,000 purse, forced to fork over his $15,000 win bonus and his bout with Lorenz Larkin was turned to a no-contest.
- Mo goes on somewhat of a Twitter tirade, calling Pat Lundvall racist
- Hours after his suspension and his statements on Twitter, Steven Marrocco from MMAJunkie reports that Dana White has cut King Mo Lawal
Well, look on the bright side. King Mo vs. Fedor Emelianenko is now a tangible possibility. Let’s get it done ONE FC. We wish King Mo the best in his future MMA career.
Update: MMAWeekly has published the audio of King Mo’s NSAC meeting. The moment King Mo refers to is at the 6:40 mark.