Lawyer: ‘There’s Really No Reason For Conor Mcgregor To Defend Himself’ For Michael Chiesa Case
Lightweight contender, Michael Chiesa, filed a lawsuit in New York State Supreme Court, Kings County against former two-division champion Conor Mcgregor on Monday, accusing him of the consequences suffered due to infamous bus attack at UFC 223 media back in April. Chiesa is also claiming to have suffered emotional distress, mental trauma and bodily harm’ including lacerations on the face.
Chiesa also alleges that the Barclay’s Centre did not pay much attention and therefore he has imposed charges of negligence on them.
According to MMAFighting, a criminal lawyer Dmitriy Shakhnevich says that this case is ‘legitimate.’
Mcgregor who went berserk at UFC 223 media day, where he hurled a metal dolly through a window of a bus transporting UFC fighters including Khabib Nurmagomedov. The window shattered into pieces, and some of those pieces went inside the bus that left Michael Chiesa, and Ray Borg suffered severe face lacerations; as a result, both fighters pulled out of their respective bouts.
On the same night, Mcgregor got arrested and charged with assault and criminal mischief. To avoid jail time, he pleads guilty to single disorderly conduct, attends anger management classes and to pay off other charges to center for damages last month.
As per Shakhnevich, a bunch of videos shows Mcgregor committing a crime by attacking a bus, and he already pleaded guilty, so that made this case more legitimate.
“There’s definitely a legitimate case,” said the lawyer, who specializes in criminal defense and personal injury. “In fact, because [McGregor] plead guilty in the criminal case. And in criminal cases the standard is higher — it’s beyond a reasonable doubt. It’s not a preponderance of the evidence. Because he did that, it’s virtually a defenseless case. You can’t defend this case, there’s no way to defend it. Even if he didn’t plead guilty, there’s 450 videos showing this. There’s really no substantive defense.”
The lawyer believes that Mcgregor will cooperate with Barclay and Chiesa so there are chances that this case will resolve quickly.
“There’s no other way,” the lawyer said. “Because there’s no defense. There’s no way Conor can defend his case — he plead guilty. He allocated in open court what he did wrong. There’s no defense that’s admissible in this case.”
Shakhnevich said Chiesa could get a low six-figure from Mcgregor in this lawsuit.
“What they can do in this case is they can really put Conor through the ringer,” Shakhnevich said. “They can make him sit for a deposition, they could tape the deposition. It could make him really uncomfortable. He doesn’t need that. He has money, he has fame, he has everything. He’s not gonna want to be dragged through the mud. He’s gonna pay whatever he has to pay. Whatever he pays will pale in comparison to what he makes in a couple of weeks. There’s really no reason for him to defend this case.”
We assume that Mcgregor doesn’t worry much about this recent lawsuit as he’s gearing up for his upcoming title fight against undefeated Khabib Nurmagomedov in the main headliner of UFC 223 on October 6 from Las Vegas.
Do you think Chiesa made a right move to sue Mcgregor?