Anyone that knows early 90s rap music knows that ‘The Chronic’ is really a basic guide to life and making it in this world. Everything I needed to know about survival on the hardcore suburban streets I learned from listening to Dr Dre and ‘The Chronic’ album back in the early 90s. I didn’t know it at the time but, Dre and Snoop lyrics were like the gangster rap version of today’s motivational speeches by Les Brown and Tony Robbins.
There’s a few basic concepts one can take from “The Chronic” album lyrics and apply to life in order to succeed. Two of them deal with not falling in love with people who have reckless promiscuous tendencies, but I don’t have enough time to get into the depth of those concepts with you in this article.The main important one is ‘if you don’t know you better ask somebody’-that’s really all you need to know to make it in this world today. If you need to know something, you have to ask-and when you do you need to ask an expert at that subject matter like Dr. Dre.
Last night, Inside MMA on HDNet needed to know who the best boxers in MMA were and they went straight to an expert on that subject to find out. It was an ode to boxing night on Inside MMA with featured guests- WBA/WBC middleweight champ Andre Ward and trainer extraordinaire Freddie Roach. The two sat down and talked boxing and MMA with Bas and Kenny, and even gave some input on how a boxing match between Anderson Silva and GSP might go down. Freddie even revealed his opinion on who he thinks are the top five boxers in all of MMA.
5. KJ Noons– “I just love his tenacity in the ring. He comes to fight and he’s all about action.”
4. Nick Diaz- “Just in terms of what he brings to us, he’s a beast. His stand-up is awesome…I like Nick Diaz. The guy comes straight at you. If he ever chose to stop fighting MMA and go to boxing, he’s one of the main guys that I think could be successful.”
3. BJ Penn- “One of the best strikers I’ve been in the ring with.”
2. GSP- “Because I show him a move, he comes back with it—he knows it the next day. You know he practiced all night in the mirror. I love that. He’s a hard worker.”
1. Anderson Silva- “He is one of the best guys who really understands distance and timing. He fights off the ropes a little bit. I told him that can be a little dangerous at times…he’ll suck you in, he’ll set you up. He’s one of the most intelligent fighters I’ve ever worked with.”
There it is, the top five boxers according to one of the greatest boxing trainers of all time, Mr. Freddie Roach. As Dr. Dre would say, ‘If you don’t know, now you know…’ Here’s a clip from the show of Freddie and Andre talking about a fantasy boxing match between GSP and Anderson Silva.