Anderson Silva “The Spider” was pulled from his scheduled November fight against Kelvin Gastelum at UFC Fight Night 122 Shanghai, due to of tested positive for a banned substance, after failing the out-of-competition test administered by the (USADA) on October 26th.
The very first time Silva failed a drug test, he pointed to a tainted sexual enhancement pill. Around this time, his coach believes a contaminated supplement was to blame.
Following the incidence, Silva issued a statement revealing that his team was working “very closely” with USADA to determine the cause of the failed test.
On Tuesday, Silva’s conditioning coach Roger Camoes break the silence vouched for his fighter’s innocence on Revista Combate a Brazilian TV show.
“I’m with Anderson for many years and the first thing he said was, ‘Master, I didn’t take anything. I trust his word because Anderson is very mature and experienced, he has the conscience not to take anything that would compromise being suspended or taint his image,” Camoes said (via MMA Fighting).
“We believe in some contamination in some supplement. Every product he used, supplements, will be analyzed so we can prove there was a contamination. It’s a slow process, it’s not overnight, and it requires time and money. It’s very expensive.”
Silva previously tested positive prior to a January 2015 bout against Nick Diaz at UFC 183. He later blamed on sexual performance medication resulted in the positive test.
Coach believes in Silva’s strength that he will bounce back much stronger and carry on with his career.
“I believe he will (come back),” Camoes said. “In life, when someone is taken away from you, that’s when you want it the most. The thing he wants the most is fighting. I believe he will come back to fighting.”
“There will be a penalty or course, we know the USADA rules, and even with a contamination, it’s the athlete’s responsibility what he takes and you have to be careful with that. We’re waiting for something to know which path we will go after all this.”