Anderson Silva, a former UFC middleweight champion’s fighting career at least as we know it may already be over and he continues to blame tainted supplement for his recent failed drug test.
‘The Spider’ tested positive for two banned substances ahead of his last scheduled fight against Kelvin Gastelum fight at the UFC Fight Night 122 and he’s still hopeful that his innocence will be proven in the case.
Former champ Silva faces a possible four-year ban after tested positive for synthetic testosterone (methyltestosterone) and a banned diuretic in a sample collected in October 2017. Both substances are banned at all times by USADA (United States Anti-Doping Agency).
Anderson Silva told TMZ Sports on Tuesday that he may have been the victim of a tainted supplement as he awaits word from his lawyers on the case. (Via MMAFighting)
“Maybe the supplements I’m using are contaminated,” Silva told TMZ. “I don’t know. I’m just waiting. Because obviously if I take these steroids, I’m stupid. I’m too old. I’m not at the start of my career. I’m [at the] finish.”
“I’m just waiting for USADA and my lawyers,” Silva said. “And hopefully they came back soon for fight for Roy Jones. That’s my dream,” Silva said. “Hopefully, this fight comes.”
“A lot of people are talking about that,” Silva said. “But it’s difficult. It’s easy for talk for doctors about that. Sometimes the athlete using the different supplements, because the rules are not easy. It changes all the time.”
Silva had previously tested positive for steroids drostanolone and androsterone following his fight with Nick Diaz in 2015 that resulted in a one-year suspension from the sport.
Despite suspension looming over, Silva not only plans to fight again but he still wants to seek a long talked about boxing match against Roy Jones Jr., who just had his retirement bout last week. Silva first called for a boxing match with Jones Jr. back in 2009.