Such is the zeal around Conor McGregor that the Irishman is constantly the subject of interest regarding who he will fight next, even during his downtime.
The Notorious had not fought since November 2016, when he thrashed Eddie Alvarez to become a two-weight UFC world champ.
McGregor then took some time off from sports as he was becoming a father for the first time, before his billion-dollar boxing match against Floyd Mayweather.
The upcoming UFC 219 card could consider the best event the UFC has put on for the end of 2017.
The news just got in! UFC President Dana White announced last tonight that current UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor’s next scrap will once again take place under the bright lights of Las Vegas. No return date has been made official yet.
McGregor has made it very clear in recent interviews that he is looking to obtain a stake in the promotion before agreeing to any new fight offers with the UFC.
“We are planning on it [Conor headlining UFC 219]. He wants to, and we want him to so, we’ll see what happens,” said UFC president Dana White. McGregor had previously said he would return to the octagon only when he was recognized as a co-promoter, but that hasn’t seemed to stop White from wanting him on the New Years Eve card.
“Look, the kid wants some money, the kid wants some stuff, but if there’s anybody out there who’s worth it, it’s Conor McGregor. We’ve always figured it out with him, and we’ll figure it out again.”
Last night Los Angeles Times Reporter, Lance Pugmire, confirmed that Dana White boss gave the following statement:
Dana White says he’ll hash out the UFC 219 main event for Las Vegas by the end of the week and said @TheNotoriousMMA return “will be in Vegas” and “could be” on that Dec. 30 date.
— Lance Pugmire (@latimespugmire) November 8, 2017
Fans seem to believe eagerly that the headliner for the UFC 219 card will either be a scrap between McGregor and Tony Ferguson to unify the UFC lightweight title and interim title or between Cristiane “Cyborg” Justino and Holly Holm. Either showdown could do big numbers for the UFC, who have been looking to bring in as much money as possible following their recent sale to the WME|IMG media conglomerate.
The distinct likelihood is that interim lightweight champion Tony Ferguson will be the next foe for the Mcgregor, though Nate Diaz remains a remote possibility.
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.