UFC changes, WWE-UFC connects, more Rizin tourneys and more in The Sunday Morning Rumor Mill
New Year, new MMA rumors. Still immersed in the UFC 207 fallout, the MMA World has started 2017 with a fight free weekend. In the coming weeks the names of BJ Penn, Chael Sonnen, Tito Ortiz and Andrei Arlovski grab the spotlight in some of the biggest matches of January.
As always these our rumors that have been talked about behind closed doors between MMA higher ups, so take them as MMA rumors.
For those believe in the myths of both time and dates, cross out the day in a big red “X” then read over the latest edition of The Sunday Morning Rumor Mill.
- Rumor are early trending numbers indicates UFC 207 went well above and beyond the company’s own internal projections. Despite being on a Friday night UFC 207 crushed the promo’s previous Friday night PPV record as well as will likely be the highest selling Rousey anchored event.
- Sources are saying Brock Lesnar vs. Bill Goldberg, Triple H vs. Seth Rollins, and Shaq vs. Big Show are the three matches that are penned in for WrestleMania 33 in Orlando
- Rizin Grand Prixes for 135 pound men and a yet to be determined female GP are rumored to be heavily pushed by Japanese officials. Expect the GP format to be a staple of Rizin along with their own unique belt, sponsor and prizes for each induvial tournament
- Despite her loss sources say the WWE is still extremely interested in chasing down Ronda Rousey for an angle. If not for WrestleMania then SummerSlam would be the next option for both sides (three sides? RR? WWE? And the UFC?) to continue their friendly working relationship
- Rumors have surfaced that new UFC owners and matchmakers are currently butting heads with the management of fighters about taking short notice bouts. Sources say an unwritten policy has been put in place where many short notice contracts are no longer as lucrative as they were under the Zuffa reign.
If you have heard of any interesting rumors that you would like to add, feel free to post them in the comments section below, on our Facebook page, tweet us or mail them to us in an unmarked envelope. Just remember they are rumors and not confirmed as fact, so please take them as such.