If MMA promotions were cliche rock bands we would at least have the comfort of knowing Strikeforce would be going on a reunion tour for a new generation of fans in about ten years. The IFL and the WEC would open for Strikeforce, and we would all be old, but at least we got to see them one more time. In ten years MiddleEasy would change it's name to MiddleEasyChair, and no one would laugh because it would cause a coughing fit and then we would need to visit the doctor down the hall in the nursing home. The lesson, if there is one, is to live in the moment. Strikeforce is going away forever and Showtime has been kind enough to grant the world a free weekend so we can all watch the regulated violence. Embrace this, friends. The final Strikeforce show on January 12th may be missing a few key players, but the card is still ridiculously stacked and once again: it's free.
Here's the card filled with Strikeforce vets, newcomers and even a UFC fighter crossing over for fun.
- Nate Marquardt vs. Tarec Saffiedine (welterweight title fight) 10PM EST
- Daniel Cormier vs. Dion Staring
- Josh Barnett vs. Nandor Guelmino
- Mike Kyle vs. Gegard Mousasi
- Ed Herman vs. Ronaldo Souza
PRELIMINARY CARD (Showtime Extreme) 8PM EST
- Pat Healy vs. Kurt Holobaugh
- Roger Gracie vs. Anthony Smith
- Tim Kennedy vs. Trevor Smith
- Ryan Couture vs. KJ Noons