Give me a top down RPG that looks like a mix of X-Com and Ultima Online but make it a hardcore, zombie-infested world that you can shape and change dynamically with your character, and you can take all of my money. Take it all. I've always dreamt out loud about a game where the individual characters have unique backgrounds and have to put plywood on the windows of their hideouts to keep the undead at bay, but I didn't think it could be done properly. Besides, the world is obsessed with fast-moving action movie zombies, they don't want a realistic zombie survival simulator. DayZ came close on a personal level, but the zombies move to fast and the game can devolve into a deathmatch pretty quickly.
But Project Zomboid looks like it's on track to be the zombie game I've always wanted. Choose the job your character had in life before the infestation began. Move house to house scrounging for supplies. Make decisions that are real and matter -- break a window to get in a house at the start of the game? OK< but it's oud, the zombies will hear you and you'll probably cut your hand. It's that kind of dynamic gameplay that I'm looking for.
Check out this video of a Project Zomboid playthrough. This is more gripping than the Walking Dead TV show.
Jason began his writing career with crayons put to construction paper, then he moved on to 8 x 10 cursive ruled paper in grade school, then eventually to the computer, where he now writes every single day for better or worse. Jason enjoys freedom, videogames, and the martial arts. Interested in booking Jason for birthdays or family gatherings? Send him an email.
Latest from Jason Nawara
- Nick Diaz has signed a new deal with the UFC, and he's ready to fight tonight, tomorrow... Or next year
- This Street MMA walk-off KO is so incredible we don't even know if it's real.
- We sat down and discussed EA UFC's latest patch and the future of the game with Director Brian Hayes
- Gus is out of UFC 178, Cormier is in against Bones Jones for the strap
- The latest EA UFC patch breathes new life into the game