Over the weekend World Series of Fighting quietly made their debut on network television with an event headlined by Justin Gaethje vs. Nick Newell in what was actually a super entertaining card. We here at MiddleEasy enjoyed watching the show, it serving as a solid way to prepare for UFC 175 later on that day, but things were amiss at WSoF 11. How amiss?
See, for some reason in MMA we keep running into this stuff where the occasional fighter on a notable card will be sporting some sort of “White Pride” or neo-Nazi tattoos or gear. This isn’t a normal occurrence in other sports or forms of entertainment, but for some reason in MMA we keep getting these dudes. This past weekend Dustin Holyko appeared sporting the words “White Pride” on his arms as well as an array of Nazi-inspired tattoos. Stuff that is beyond being excusable, you know, like Lemmy from Motorhead’s weird obsession with Nazi memorabilia.
WSoF has already released Dustin Holyko after his tattoos and criminal record hit the internet, but now NBC and the Anti-Defamation League have spoken out about it, with NBC claiming that they don’t do background checks, but are going to make sure that this doesn’t happen again in the future, while the Anti-Defamation League had a whole lot to say (read here).
We are yet again kind of disappointed to see this Nazi stuff in MMA.
Dave Walsh is a writer residing in Albuquerque, New Mexico who is best known for his work as a Kickboxing and Mixed Martial Arts journalist. His work has been featured on a number of publications, including BloodyElbow.com, MiddleEasy.com, CageSideSeats.com, Heavy.com as well as his own site, LiverKick.com.
His first novel, The Godslayer, is on sale now.
- Paulo Filho with Some #RealTalk About Depression and Anxiety
- We're Pretty Sure Josh Burkman Really Didn't Throw a Fight, Guys
- The Hangover: World Series of Fighting 12 Edition
- Justin Gaethje pulverizes Nick Newell to retain the WSOF LW belt
- Bobby Lashley says he will probably be fighting for WSOF in the near future
Latest from Dave Walsh
- Randy Couture Caught in the Wild Dressed Like CHACK Liddell
- Raw 10.27; Hell in a Cell Fallout, or, WWE Buys In
- Sadly for Shlemenko, There's No Spinning Sh*t in Sambo
- Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth is Addictive, New, Yet Familiar
- Cub Swanson Was Told That He's Next for Jose Aldo, McGregor Still Looms