Whenever I end up talking to a person who's unfamiliar with the sport that is MMA, I’ll always end up trying to get them into it. Normally it starts off with me telling them about Fedor, and how he’s perfect in every sense of the word. Or I’ll talk about seeing Shogun vs. Machida II with a girl at Buffalo Wild Wings and standing on the table after Shogun won the belt. Rarely will I bring up attending UFC 128, because as far as I’m concerned, that event never happened. Anyone who says that event did happen is a disinformation agent sent out by the government, illuminati and all that.
Eventually the conversation moves towards what fights they should watch, that is if I haven’t scared them off yet, which happens about as much as you’d think. I’ll suggest the usual fights, Manhoef Cyborg, anything Nick Diaz, anything Shogun but I can never leave out Don Frye Yoshihiro Takayama. It’s an easy sell, especially coming from New England where hockey is huge. “So, you like hockey right? Well Don Frye vs. Yoshihiro Takayama is the equivalent to a hockey fight happening in MMA.”
Jay Rosehill and Paul Bissonnette only further reinforced that point last night.
Latest from Gary LaPlante
- Want to see the top five boxing matches of the year? Here they are
- Watch the trailer for Phuket Dreaming, the best MMA doc made this year
- This might be the best Cro Cop shirt of all time
- Huell from Breaking Bad is now training BJJ, FUTURE FIGHT WITH CM PUNK POSSIBLE!?
- Gorilla Productions gives us the 20 best boxing knockouts of 2014